Monday, March 19, 2007

Lenna's RR Fabric Book

Hello from Lenna! I am a fabric and mixed media artist and instructor living in Connecticut where we still have a foot of snow on the ground March 19th! I have been thinking about my fabric book for Dawn's RR for a while now and finally fleshed out some of my ideas yesterday. I decided on a theme of Passion, with a sub-theme of Texture - it should be fun to work in!! It is 5-1/2" x 7-1/2"in size.

I have participated in (or hosted) Fabric Book RRs and fabric page swaps before and so I am really looking forward to being involved in this process again. From taking part in Dawn's Oh So Charming Swap I know that she is a very organized and enthusiastic hostess - yay! This will be great. I'm glad I'm here in this group Dawn has organized through art-e-zine. I just wrote an article about RRs for art-e-zine, you'll find it published on the art-e-zine site. Gillian did a great job with it!

I am going to share my cover which is not quite done, but almost. It is one-piece, with a denim "binding" piece in the middle - I am recycling my husband's old jeans. : ) In the past I have done wrap covers, eyelets & ribbons, and accordion style fabric books . . . . and so instead, this book is going to have additional strips of denim (just like the cover) that I will use to attach all your finished pages to. Then I will sew through all the denim strips and tie them off on the outside of the cover. I got the idea from the book, Fabric Art Journals by Pam Sussman. There is a book she makes in there that's something like this. When I ship my book off I will send a template for the size your pages will need to be, and I will sew all the pages together with the denim strips when my book comes back home to me. Click on the photos below for more detail.


This shows my sign in page on the inside front cover . . . . I settled on these metal rimmed tags as they just seemed to be the best thing for this book. You could do ATCs or tags or fabric squares, or even just have everyone write their name on your cover or page - which you are also welcome to do in this book. But I liked pinning these tags here and letting you decide whether you'd pin the tag back in place or pin it to your page - it's your choice! The back pocket on the inside back cover has a gel medium image transfer from a photo I took, and inside the pocket I wrote some notes to you about my book. There are also lots of blank cards for you to write notes to me (!) if you wish, about creating in my book.

The actual fabric page to go inside I still need to do, and I may add some velvet leaves to the cover. The image on the front is a fabric collage sheet image from Alpha Stamps called "The Balcony". Any feedback is welcome!

: ) yours creatively, Lenna Andrews

Trust that still, small voice that says, "This might work, and I'll try it." -Diane Mariechild

website: http://www.creativelenna.com

newest art: http://creativelenna.blogspot.com/

No comments: